News: SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

moving guests from one chassis to another 1195

Super Newbie Posts: 2 Karma: +0/-0 *
moving guests from one chassis to another
« on: September 17, 2015, 01:23:29 PM »
I have UNIX admin background and NO experience with vmware.  I'm responsible for our flex servers' P node side, and am trying to help the X node admin with problems he is having with the configuration.  [And he does not have FSM experience].

When setting up a new environment, are you suppose to use VMControl in FSM to setup server, network, and storage pools first.  Then go to vmware and configure your environment there?  Or VMControl is not really needed and vmware takes care of all the configuration?  After looking at tons of documentation, I am still not clear on the logical chronology of steps needed to setup your environment.  [If you know of a good document that goes over setting up vmware on pureflex with p nodes and FSM, and is not a 1000 pages, please direct me to it]

Reason I ask is because we are running into a problem where, we can vmotion guests within the same chassis; however, we are not able to vmotion between the two chassis.  So I did some reading and came across many references for setting up server and storage pools in FSM using VMControl.  Except our environment doesn't have any.  If they are required than we shouldn't be able to do any vmotion.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Administrator Sr. Member Posts: 309 Karma: +6/-0 *****
Re: moving guests from one chassis to another
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 03:47:59 PM »
Let me be clear VMcontrol is NOT a VMware utility  IBM confused everyone with the name. ;)

With that said the only requirements for vMotion between chassis's are the following.

1) Hosts from both chassis are in the same vSphere cluster withing vCenter (unless you are on ESXi6)
2) Backend SAN storage needs to be shared across all hosts in the cluster.
3) vMotion networks configured and on host vSwitches or vSphere Distributed Switch.

Please provide a screenshot if you have one to help troubleshoot further.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp#com.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc/GUID-D19EA1CB-5222-49F9-A002-4F8692B92D63.html