News: SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

en2092 vlans 1951

Super Newbie Posts: 1 Karma: +0/-0 *
en2092 vlans
« on: April 11, 2014, 04:06:21 PM »

Hello,

I have a Flex with 2 x en2092 switches. I'm trying to separate the vmware management network from the servers network using vlans. Have 2 nodes and the hypervisors are connected to the internal B1 and B2 ports of both switches for management purposes. I cannot set these B1 and B2 internal ports to multiple vlans, in order to have the hypervisors management on one vlan and guest operating systems on other(s) vlan(s). This configuration is needed also for the guest operating systems to be able to communicate through different vlans.

So is it possible, and how, to assign multiple vlans to internal ports. I can do it for the external ports only.

Thanks in advance.
Super Newbie Posts: 9 Karma: +0/-0 *
Re: en2092 vlans
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 05:31:32 PM »
Hello,

Do your ports have VLAN Tagging enabled? This will allow multiple VLANs on a single port. See below and check out this link for the IBM Network OS Guide.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/flexsys/information/topic/com.ibm.acc.networkdevices.doc/88y7946.pdf

PG. 92
"IBM Networking OS software supports 802.1Q VLAN tagging, providing
standards-based VLAN support for Ethernet systems.
Tagging places the VLAN identifier in the frame header of a packet, allowing each
port to belong to multiple VLANs. When you add a port to multiple VLANs, you also
must enable tagging on that port.
Since tagging fundamentally changes the format of frames transmitted on a tagged
port, you must carefully plan network designs to prevent tagged frames from being
transmitted to devices that do not support 802.1Q VLAN tags, or devices where
tagging is not enabled."