News: SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Difference between Manage Profile and Manage Virtual Server 2870

Super Newbie Posts: 28 Karma: +0/-0 *
Difference between Manage Profile and Manage Virtual Server
« on: May 29, 2014, 11:32:12 PM »
hi guys
I using Pureflex - FSM and one p260 but I am really confused about this options.

Manage Profile
Manage Virtual Server
Save Current Configuration.

For instance I am creating some Fiber Channel Virtual Adapters (FC Adapters) for VIO and to assign to new LPAR.

I go to Manage Profile and create 2 Virtual FC Adapters when OK is pressed changes are saved, cool. But by mistake I clicked Save Current Configuration, well not mistake I thought I was OK clicking that, but I checked again Manage Profile and the Virtual FC Adapters are gone.

now I am pretty confused for example if a LPAR/VIO needs more memory where I should change it? Manage Virtual Server or Manage Profile

Please guys help me to understand these 3 concepts

thanks a lot
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:07:26 AM by karlochacon »
Administrator Sr. Member Posts: 309 Karma: +6/-0 *****
Re: Difference between Manage Profile and Manage Virtual Server
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:43:26 AM »
Hi Karlochacon,

Here is some information I received from our Power Systems Engineer.

Manage profile is editing the file containing the profile. The only time it's used is at partition activation

Manage virtual server is dlpar. It's editing the current running partition

Save current configuration means to save the current active partition to a file for future use.

I use save current config after I've dlpar'd something to a partition. Then save that config over my default profile file so I don't have to go and add what I've just dlpar'd to my prolfile to make that change persistent through a deactivation/activation.  Also keeps my typos to a minimum

I hope this helps clarify the differences between the FSM and the HMC!
Super Newbie Posts: 28 Karma: +0/-0 *
Re: Difference between Manage Profile and Manage Virtual Server
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 01:50:50 PM »
Hi Karlochacon,

Here is some information I received from our Power Systems Engineer.

Manage profile is editing the file containing the profile. The only time it's used is at partition activation

Manage virtual server is dlpar. It's editing the current running partition

Save current configuration means to save the current active partition to a file for future use.

I use save current config after I've dlpar'd something to a partition. Then save that config over my default profile file so I don't have to go and add what I've just dlpar'd to my prolfile to make that change persistent through a deactivation/activation.  Also keeps my typos to a minimum

I hope this helps clarify the differences between the FSM and the HMC!

thanks a lot PureSystemsTech

Tredertinfam

Difference between Manage Profile and Manage Virtual S
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:47:09 PM »
Hi everyone, i was just wondering what is the difference between having two of the same mics than having a matched pair?

thanks for your responses