News: SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

issue during inventory collection 2245

Super Newbie Posts: 3 Karma: +0/-0 *
issue during inventory collection
« on: January 13, 2015, 05:28:42 AM »
Hello guys,

Just found this forum after spending hours of google searching and trying to fix my FSM issue... Good to be here!

I'm trying to perform firmware upgrade of various FSM components, but I'm having difficulties with inventory collection. More specifically, when I do inventory collection I get the following error:

January 13, 2015 9:32:48 AM CET-Level:150-MEID:9323--MSG: ATKSRV642E The "systems.discovery.extended.AgentExtendedDiscoveryModule" inventory extension failed for "ETHERNET0-IBM*7895-42X******", which has a type of "Switch".

(I removed the serial number)

I get this error for both virtual switches (one for each P node). Any ideas what could be the problem? IBM support so far has not been very helpful.
Administrator Sr. Member Posts: 309 Karma: +6/-0 *****
Re: issue during inventory collection
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 09:36:52 AM »
Crytid,

Welcome to MyPureSupport we're glad you found us! A couple of questions to start.

1. How did you initially configure the FSM. Separate networks for data and management or a single network for data and management?
2. Have you tried removing the power node completely from the FSM and re-inventorying the chassis to bring it back in?
3. Have you tried restarting the FSP?

Also, could you copy and paste the inventory job into your next post? I want to see how far you are getting with it.

Thanks!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 03:15:27 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

1. There are separate networks for data and management.
2. Didn't try it, is this possible without any downtime on the node?
3. Didn't try this either, but I'm concerned about downtime here as well, is the restart disruptive?

I can't paste the whole job for confidentiality reasons (some sensitive system names there , etc etc..), but I can tell you it finishes with state 'Completed with Errors', where the error quoted above is the only one that appears.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 11:59:08 AM »
No problem, I hope we can help!

Answers:

2. There would be no downtime for any of the running LPARS, HOWEVER, until the FSM pulls the power node back in you would not be able to gain access to the console or do any DLPAR or profile modifications. So keep that in mind.

3. Same answer as #2. No console access and no way to modify the running systems or build any new systems.

Typically when I have any inventory problem this is the first thing I do as troubleshooting.

After that, I would try a complete FSM hardware reboot. Sometimes this clears things up in the database.

What has IBM given you so far? Since they have access to your PEDBG logs they may have more insight to the problem.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 08:18:33 AM »
Thats encouraging, I will try 2) and 3), thanks! Could you point me to some documents describing the procedures you mentioned? I did a bit of googling and didnt find anything much useful.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 10:07:46 AM »
Unfortunately there's not really any great docs on this.

To remove from FSM inventory/add back to inventory do the following:

1. Go to Chassis Manager -> find the power node - > right-click -> 'REMOVE'
2. To add back to inventory you can just inventory the the Chassis (if it doesn't show up immediately just give it some time, let it sit and come back to it)
3. Try your inventory again.

To restart the FSP

1. Login to your CMM
2. Find your node and right-click
3 Click Restart Systems Management processor
4. Once it comes back, give it a few minutes and try your inventory again.

Let me know if you run into any issues or need more clarification.

Thanks!!