News: SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

FSM Initial Setup 2993

Super Newbie Posts: 3 Karma: +0/-0 *
FSM Initial Setup
« on: March 23, 2015, 01:36:36 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am having trouble setting up FSM first time. All the CMMs and FSM are on the same network. I am setting up only using single network interface. eth0.  This network is routable so it does not have problem reaching out DNS, NTP, etc.

I can ping the default gateway from the FSM command line but i cannot ping other CMMs that are on the same network from the FSM or i cannot ping DNS and Time servers?  I am not sure where to start and hpw to troubleshoot.

I checked the default gateway it is defined and i can ping it.

Is there any limitation using single routable interface?

Thank you.

Administrator Sr. Member Posts: 309 Karma: +6/-0 *****
Re: FSM Initial Setup
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 06:15:48 PM »
Hi Orhan,

Thanks for the question! The only limitation that I am aware of is that using only ETH0 does not allow for more advanced management features like OS deployment and inventory of OS objects. And overall I've been told in the past by IBMers/Lab Services at that time they recommended using separate networks for data and management traffic because it "works better".

The first things to get out of the way is make sure the FSM and CMM are at the latest firmware levels or at levels that are compatible with each other.

Are there multiple CMMs that cannot be accessed by the same FSM?
Are the CMMs plugged into the back of the chassis switches or your core switch?
Were there IPv6 addresses created on ETH0 when you did the initial setup?
If so, are the IPv6 addresses pingable?

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 05:37:52 PM »
Just to answer the questions:
Are there multiple CMMs that cannot be accessed by the same FSM?
Correct: I am trying to discover the CMMs but it is not finding anything.
Are the CMMs plugged into the back of the chassis switches or your core switch?
Yes they are.
Were there IPv6 addresses created on ETH0 when you did the initial setup?
NO i did not create any IPV6 address.
If so, are the IPv6 addresses pingable?
I did not try this.

It looks like the FSM cannot communicate anything other than its own subnets.
I can ping the devices that is on the same subnet as the FSM but nothing on the other subnets.  Such as DNS servers, Mailrelay etc.  it looks like it just does not now route anything.  I checked the default gateway and redefined again no luck. Still troubleshooting with IBM.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 12:57:04 PM »
Hi Orhan,

Are the CMMs all plugged into the same chassis switches or your core switch? Your answer was not clear to me. Also, it definitely sounds like a routing issue. If the FSM is ONLY using ETH0 then it will be routing through the CMM in that chassis and NOT the network switches. Knowing this, the CMM may need to be plugged into a switchport that is set to trunking mode with the allowed VLANs/subnets that the FSM needs to access. Now this has never been tested by myself and I am not sure if the CMM will allow multiple subnets to be passed through on the way to the FSMs ETH0. The proper way to do this is to use ETH0 for chassis management aka CMM management and then ETH1 for NTP/DNS etc... since ETH1 is connected to the chassis switches you will be able to set the FSM chassis network switchport to access multiple VLANs by setting VLAN to '1' and then making the EXT (external) ports that uplink to the core as trunk ports to pass all of the VLANs/subnets you need the FSM to access.

Thoughts?

Also, what is IBM saying. Can you provide some of their action plans so we can discuss them as well.

Thanks!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 03:41:22 PM »
Thank you for response.

I think i missed that part really. "the FSM is ONLY using ETH0 then it will be routing through the CMM in that chassis and NOT the network switches." I may need to double check this one. This never occured to me. Currently switch port is configured as access port as far as i can tell. so i will look into that.

Here is the latest status
we decided to  use eth1 one as well as currently i am not getting anything back from IBM. I am in the process of uploading support files.

Here is the current setup:
CMM IP: 10.10.10.10
FSM: eth0 = 10.10.10.250
FSM: Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
FSM Default Gateway: 10.10.10.1
FSM eth1: 10.120.97.40 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.128  No default gateway.

on the chassis where FSM resides chassis switches are pass though so there is no configuration and they are directly connected core swithes.  the ports configuration for both eth0 and eth1 configured as access port on the core switches.

Both Ips assigned to FSM on eth0 and eth1 is routable IPs with the correct gateway.

Question is:
Where the default gateway needs to be defined, on eth0 or eth1. Currently it is defined on eth0?
Does it matter whether the FSM is on slot 1 or 7 etc? Currently it is on Slot 7. I am wondering of that has anything to do with it.

I am going to chance the default gateway  that and define on eth1 see if that chances anything.

thanks,
Orhan

I am definetely missing something but not sure where.

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 03:54:07 PM »
Hi Orhan,

Appreciate the detailed information. Bay location shouldn't matter but all of the FSMs I have seen have been in Bay 1. You may want to put it there in case there is another internal network path to the CMM that Bay 1 gets that the other Bays do not. I would start there first.

Second, I'm not sure that you should just add ETH1 to an existing configuration. In my humble opinion I would try a total rebuild of the FSM and select "Use separate networks for data and management" when asked during the initial setup wizard.

Lastly, I am not a network guru but I believe you will need to have a default gateway for the FSM so that other subnets can be routed to it and also if multiple subnets need to be passed down to the FSM then the core switchports should not be static access but trunk ports so that multiple VLANs/subnets can be passed down to the FSM.