News: SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

CMM/IMM Separate VLANS? 1726

Super Newbie Posts: 37 Karma: +0/-0 *
CMM/IMM Separate VLANS?
« on: June 01, 2015, 10:37:27 PM »
Dear all,

My customer has a question that they want to separate network (using different VLAN ID) for CMM and IMM of compute Node. So is there any recommendation when doing that?
Administrator Sr. Member Posts: 309 Karma: +6/-0 *****
Re: CMM/IMM Separate VLANS?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 11:14:47 AM »
Hi Dongdp,

Great question. It appears the CMM/IMM has VLAN options. It seems, however, there may be two pieces to this configuration. The CMM has options to define a CMM VLAN and multiple VLANs which you can add your static routes from each IMM to (this is what I THINK needs to happen). Then there is another piece called the Chassis Internal Network that on the 'Configuration' tab has an option to add a Chassis Internal Network aka CIN VLAN ID (I'm not sure exactly what this gives us).

I don't see much documentation on this. I also do not see on the IMMs a way to make the VLAN checkbox clickable, it seems to stay greyed out no matter what changes I make on the CMM.

In my humble opinion. I would play around with setting up VLANs and static routes through the CMM (Found under Chassis Configuration --> VLAN Configuration) and place an IMM on that new VLAN/static route/subnet to see if it pings an is accessible.

Also keep in mind that if you add another VLAN to the CMM you will need to make the top of rack switchport a trunk port to allow for multiple VLANs to pass through that switchport.

Please keep us updated with your progress!

Thanks!