News: SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

vPC creation between Cisco N7K and SI4093 1091

Super Newbie Posts: 1 Karma: +0/-0 *
vPC creation between Cisco N7K and SI4093
« on: September 08, 2016, 02:33:19 PM »
Dear Members,

We have proposed IBM Pure Flex Chassis to a customer along with Flex System Fabric SI4093 System Interconnect Module (Part Number: 00FM518). On its external 10 GbE ports, we will insert Lenovo 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver (Part Number: 46C3447) and Lenovo 1000BASE-SX SFP Transceiver (Part Number: 81Y1622).

The customer has a Nexus 7000 Core Switch and they need to create vPC between Cisco N7K and Lenovo SI4093 Switch (on the above mentioned transceivers).

We need to know if this could be achieved. If yes, what will be the procedure to do it? Do we need extra components or license to achieve this solution?

One additional question which my customer has asked and I have no clue to it. Does SI4093 support stacking? If Stacking is not supported will affect creation of vPC/vLAG on SI4093?

A document link indicating this functionality will be really beneficial.

Regards,
Farhan.
Administrator Sr. Member Posts: 309 Karma: +6/-0 *****
Re: vPC creation between Cisco N7K and SI4093
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 04:40:14 PM »
Hi Farhan,

Thank you for your post. Here is a document for the users guide for the SI4093, in it there is a discussion about setting up a trunk.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/flexsys/information/topic/com.lenovo.acc.si4093pt.doc/00cg189.pdf

From the document:
"Trunk groups are also useful for connecting a SI4093 to IBM switches and
third-party devices that support link aggregation, such as Cisco routers and
switches with EtherChannel technology (not ISL trunking technology) and Sun's
Quad Fast Ethernet Adapter."

Since this switches are essentially passthrough switches where you create a SPAR (which is essentially a logical configuration combined INT or internal ports to EXT or external ports) there does not appear to be a way to "stack" these switches since they have little to no intelligence built in. If you would like to stack the switches that would require the EN4093 switch which has an almost identical command set and functionality set to Cisco when you configure it to use the ISCLI (Industry Standard Command Line Interface).

Keep in mind also that the SI4093 can be tricky to configure although the marketing material would tell you otherwise. I have seen this switch deployed at only one customer, the rest have had the EN4093. I do not want to deter you from your solution but simply warn you that it may not be as easy as it seems. There are a few posts on issues that have been seen here in the MyPureSupport community so if you do hit a snag do a search and see if you find some answers, otherwise post again. :)

Thanks!