News: SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

FS5022 and external Storwize v7000 4926

Jr. Member Posts: 97 Karma: +0/-0 **
FS5022 and external Storwize v7000
« on: August 05, 2014, 04:15:15 AM »
Hello again! :)

i am newbie in SAN network

i installed and update FC5022 connect FC5022x2 to Storwize7000 ( 4 FC cables, two per switch )

next:

i have x440node and two FC5052 card installed on it

in storwize i create FC HOST and see 4 PORTS ( two ports per card )
i connect HOST ( in storwize ) at one port of each card
When 1 Card down 2 port on other card work correctly and bit and byte running with happy smile ( we can say "failover mode" )

How i can create enhance failover in this situation ?

i have two 5022 switchs
Stowrize v7000
connect 4 ports summary ( two ports per 5022 switch )
and have x440 node with two 5052 cards

How need configure CARD5052\SWITCH5022\Storwize when i crate HOST

in my mind what i want
1 port per card on node ( Zone 1 )
2 port per card on node ( Zone 2 )

them i create HOST on storwize and add all 4 ports in this host
When all ports in Zone 1 down, host begin use ports in ZOne 2 ( when i add all ports in HOST in defaults settins 2 port per card in degraded mode and i see warning )

but how i can create or implement what i want to do, i dont know)) thx for help

i know, i can use this method from default setting and use one port on per card, but want max best failover mode I can give this equipment

sorry for bad eng

sorry for eng. not my native
From Russia With Love
Administrator Sr. Member Posts: 309 Karma: +6/-0 *****
Re: FS5022 and external Storwize v7000
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 01:16:57 PM »
Liks,

Thank you for your question. Below I will explain best practices for SAN zoning. Also the v7000 is an active/active SAN storage system so at ALL TIMES I/O will be going through both fabrics A and B. So if these are VMware hosts you want to set the LUN Access Policy to Round Robin.

SAN Overview
SAN stands for Storage Area Network and it defines the relationship between storage systems and hosts for mapping of additional storage capacity to servers with limited internal capacity. A Fabric is a collection of ports from a single or group of switches to form a virtual storage area network or virtual fabric. Each Fabric has static FC ports assigned to it or redundant switches. The purpose of multiple SAN fabrics is for redundancy. So, if you have two (2) fabrics (Fabric A and Fabric B) and you lose Fabric A then assuming zoning is done per the best practices below then Fabric B should pick up the traffic and no hosts should go offline.

Zoning
Zoning is a fabric-based service in SANs that groups hosts and storage devices that need to communicate. In zoning, only members in the same zone can communicate to each other.
In a typical environment, SAN zones should follow the Single Initiator Zoning (SIZ) practice. With this setup, zones contain a single initiator (host HBAs) and one to many targets (storage ports). Also, separate HBAs and zones should be used for disk and tape traffic. All aliases should be created with WWPN, unless where required.

All aliases and zones should be descriptive enough to determine the host and storage devices. Some zones use aliases as well as WWPNs. It is a best practice to create aliases for WWPNs and use only aliases to zone, the reason for this is easier manageability. Alias based zoning is also important because it allows you to not be tied to a specific port so, for example, if the port were to fail you could simply connect to another port and no additional zoning changes need to be made. All aliases, zones, and zonesets should also be named similarly, just with a different fabric designation.

Examples of aliases and zones in different fabrics:
?   Alias - SERVERNAME_P1 for Fabric A.
?   Alias - SERVERNAME_P2 for Fabric B.
?   Zone - SERVERNAME_STORAGE_A for Fabric A.
?   Zone - SERVERNAME_STORAGE_B for Fabric B.

Let me know if this helps!!  :D
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 12:07:49 PM »
This is my topology

later describe what I want to achieve, and whether I understood you

From Russia With Love
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »
Sounds good to me. Thank you for the picture that's very helpful. So for now all I can say is the cabling is done correctly so that's great.

As far as the zoning is concerned try to follow the best practices I sent previously. This should give you the guidelines for properly zoning to you're server host ports. Just be sure to follow the industry standard of SIZ (Single initiator zoning) where a SINGLE host port is zoned to MULTIPLE v7000 storage ports for redundancy.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 07:54:29 AM »
Hello!

again!

i want share all port and adapter on the NODE

imagine x400node insatlled ESXI on it and OS Windows 2008R2 inside in ESXI

Now i Start Copy BIG File 100GB from Guest OS to LUN
I want share all trafic at this picture

From Russia With Love
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 07:55:28 AM »
And what i want ? ->

From Russia With Love
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 08:07:16 AM »
Ok ok, i know! this is same technology "EthernetCHannel"
But in EthernetChannel loadsharing really working in specific situation, in 90% time all data pass through 1 link max 2. and need have powerfull hardware where can loadsharing in source and destenation ports.

In this situation ( SAN NETWORKING ), if NOT really i can loadsharing, i want USAGE ALL LINK IN ACTIVE\ACTIVE STATE! if 1 broken, 2 active immediately and so on!

From Russia With Love
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 08:08:10 AM »
WHEN PORT SHUTDOWN

From Russia With Love
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 08:09:20 AM »
BIG QUESTION

i can configure this ? and what and where need configured....

From Russia With Love
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 08:51:25 AM »
Liks,

So it sounds like you want to have Round Robin set in VMware. VMware has different ways to set your SAN pathing policies. Round Robin would give you an ACTIVE/ACTIVE pathing policy like you want such that if a fiber channel port went offline then your paths would continue I/O's using the remaining ports.

Per VMWare. "For Active/Active storage arrays, all paths will be used in the Round Robin policy."

As long as you have the zoning done on the switch per my recommendations above and you have your SAN pathing policy to Round Robin you will have all of your paths working together.

Here is an article on how to set Round Robin pathing policies to your SAN LUNs.
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2000552

In conclusion there is no setting like etherchannel where you need to "tie" your ports together because this is the function of the multipathing software and what pathing policy you have set.
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 10:07:25 AM »
ok thx you for help

now go testing and set configurations )

From Russia With Love