News: SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

CMM HUNG Can't Login via GUI or SSH 7188

Administrator Sr. Member Posts: 309 Karma: +6/-0 *****
CMM HUNG Can't Login via GUI or SSH
« on: August 29, 2014, 10:49:33 AM »
All,

I am creating this topic because we are currently experiencing issues where we cannot login to our CMM via the GUI or CLI. This happened to our lab Flex a few weeks ago and the only thing I could do to fix it was a manual reseat of the CMM (however this is not easily possible for this customer since their Flex is in a remote location). All commands from the FSM to the CMM do not work.

I am opening a ticket with support to see if they can help determine what causes this.

Stay tuned!
Super Newbie Posts: 15 Karma: +1/-0 *
Re: CMM HUNG Can't Login via GUI or SSH
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 03:31:09 AM »
hi

when i start my first flex i've encoutered the same problem and i soluce the probleme by factory reset of cmm and switch physically cmm between primary and standby.

after i ve restore the original configuration and the cmm can log in gui and cli

the second time is when one of my customer try to implemente management centralized by fsm and in the cmm has noit set the global login security

do you have a fsm ?

if yes try to switch the fsm and after loggin inthe cmm with the original USERID profil.

if it's ok so go in user security and choose in global login security

external first after internal and creat a recovery user that not lock and disable
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:42:34 PM »
We do have a flex in this customers chassis. The problem was that the GUI page wouldn't load to even give me the login prompt. I came onsite today and did a physical reseat of the primary CMM -> waited 2 minutes -> then inserted it back into the chassis. It took back ownership of the chassis and I was able to login very quickly.

Thanks for the input it sounds like I'm not the only one having issues!  >:(
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 09:08:06 AM »
This issue keeps happening even after upgrades where you would expect it to be fixed. I'm opening a call with IBM now to get some answers. I will reply back when a resolution is provided or updates on whether this is scheduled to be fixed in a future release.
Super Newbie Posts: 12 Karma: +2/-0 *
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »
My organization is also experiencing the same issue on multiple CMMs. I opened up a PMR and never followed up with it, all we got was a replacement CMM. Was hoping it was a one off but after the reseats it seems to have gone away. I think its a bug in the 2PET12N CMM code as it was noticeable within weeks of firmware upgrade. Previously, we had the CMM running for at least a year prior to Firmware update. Have not noticed any change history in the newer code that discusses this issue as a fix.

I will also share this observation. We have a DR site that is barely touched until one day I had to do some remote work. Remote Control worked fine for 15 minutes as I worked on 9 nodes at one time. One by one, IMMs starting to lose connectivity and only 2 nodes were accessible via the IMM and the CMM, rest of the IMMs and IO Modules appeared offline....yet the FSM did not report ANY outage or errors. I was able to SSH into the CMM but it takes like 3 minutes for a successful login. Unfortunately, any reset command given to the CMM via SSH did not work, CMM was hung up enough to not process any requests.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »
Hi Pillow,

Its definitely a bug in the newest code. I concur that the older releases were stable and never had this problem so it is new to the CMM. As far as the issue with your DR site that is very strange. It makes sense that if the CMM hangs on login then the IMMs would also hang since they authenticate to the CMM in order to login but its weird that the IMMs remote console dropped WHILE you were connected.

This is what I recieved from support on the issue. The link basically tells you to reseat it which we KNOW works but its NOT A GOOD SOLUTION.  :-\

"The link below is the retain tip on the CMM login issue. IBM is still work on resolution."

Retain Tip

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=migr-5096246
Super Newbie Posts: 1 Karma: +0/-0 *
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 03:01:16 AM »
We are seeing this issue too.  CMM login hang, I am also seeing other issues whereby if you can get into the CMM it won`t respond to the reset command nor even a virtual reseat.
Super Newbie Posts: 12 Karma: +2/-0 *
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 08:00:51 AM »
Hey everyone,

Checked Fix Central this morning and a new CMM firmware has been released. Here are the release notes. I highlighted a critical fix below that may be the resolution of the issue discussed in this thread. Hope this firmware is solid.

Furthermore, I went back to the Retain Tip link that PureSystemsTech referred to and IBM updated the information on it.

"Solution

This behavior will be corrected in a future release of CMM firmware.

The target date for this release is scheduled for fourth quarter 2014."

Chassis Management Module Firmware Update Change History

IBM Flex System Enterprise(TM): System 8721(ALL) 7893 (ALL) 8724 (ALL) 7953 (ALL)

Version 2.5.2, Build ID: 2PET12Q
  Problem(s) Fixed:
    - Fixed an issue where some external devices cannot ping chassis I/O Module that have IPv4
      addresses in the range 192.168.70.1 through 15.
   - Fixed an issue where some switch components might lose their IPv4 address
      after enabling stacking mode.
    - Fixed an issue where IPv4 and IPv6 labels are displayed twice on the network properties page.
    - Fixed an issue where an edit and redeploy of an already deployed chassis pattern does not
      update the contact name and location if they were updated by the user.
  Enhancements:
   - Added support for 10Gb 2-port CNA by Emulex (Skybird)
   - Added support for 10Gb 2-port NIC by Qlogic (Tacoma)
   - Changed the allowed length of the telnet password from 16 to 31 characters.
   - Added support for externally signed SSL certificate in PEM format to be imported via copy and paste.
   - Added support for externally signed SSL certificate to be able to generate a new key pair and
     certificate without impacting the existing private key.
   - Added support for externally signed SSL certificate to display the certificate expiration date.
  Limitations:
  Critical Fixes:
    - Fixed an issue where intermittent login failures might occur after long periods of CMM run time.

Dependencies:
    - This firmware is for the (TM) System
      System 8721(ALL) 7893 (ALL) 8724 (ALL) 7953 (ALL)
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 10:44:10 AM »
Thanks for this info!

I have updated my CMM to Version 2.5.2, Build ID: 2PET12Q. Now my CMM logs in SO MUCH QUICKER! I hope it stays like that so we will find out.

Thanks!!
Super Newbie Posts: 35 Karma: +3/-0 *
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 03:16:04 PM »
Interestingly enough, we had the same issue.  IBM told us to physically pull out both CMMs, and then reseat them.  (I don't remember the order).  But it solved the problem.

>>>>Ericw
Super Newbie Posts: 35 Karma: +3/-0 *
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 03:36:57 PM »
Found it!

Retain Tip

Primary will show a status light on the CMM itself
Pull secondary/standby ... put it on a table ... then pull out the prmary the primary for 1 minute...plug it back in... after primary comes up, (5 minutes or so) then re-insert standby.