News: SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Configuration switch EN2092 IBM flex system 7893 9302

Super Newbie Posts: 17 Karma: +0/-0 *
Configuration switch EN2092 IBM flex system 7893
« on: March 12, 2014, 06:14:14 AM »
Hello,
I want help to configure the virtualization part of the administration interface switches.
I created on my vms hypervisor but they do not communicate externally.
i need help for configuring vlan. i want my hypervisor to communique external
thank you
Administrator Sr. Member Posts: 309 Karma: +6/-0 *****
Re: Configuration switch EN2092 IBM flex system 7893
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »
Hello gotta,

Welcome and thank you for the post. We will do our best to help.

Couple questions to start.

1. Have you set the vlan on the external network switch ports? The internal ports will pass any vlan you set on them to the ex ports but the ex ports need a vlan.
2. Have you configured your vswitch to use one of the physical nics?

Let me know if I'm on the right track with what you're requesting. 

Thanks!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 06:56:18 AM »
Thank you for your reply.
I created 2 Vlan I assigned him ports (INTA1 to INTA9 and INTB1 to INTB9 and EXT1 to EXT5)
in the network configuration of ESXi I assigned the VLAN 2 with the same IP address range and I activated the vmnic, but its not working.
By cons, in ESXi when I leave the fields empty vlan. His works and I can connect me with vSphere.
the vswitch is connected to the vmnics.
I created my virtual machine, but I am unable to ping ip address but the Vm manages to ping my ip address.
I do not understand, thank you for your help
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:18:10 AM »
Could you please send a screenshot of your vswitch.  Try also deactivating one nic and try it with a single nic.

Thanks!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 12:04:54 PM »
i attached screenshot.
with a single nic nothing changes.
but in the network configuration of compute node ESXi when I chose the 4095 Vlan networks work.
but the vlan 2 that I created in the administrator interface of the switch does not work.
is there a precise configuration vlan for it to work?
Thank you for help
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 03:51:19 PM »
I am not a network GURU so I will do my best here.

If I were you I would set your chassis switches back to defaults. You should ONLY need VLANs to be set on your external ports, all internal ports will pass traffic through the external network switch ports without any configuration needed. From your picture it looks like you have it configured properly at least from the VMware side. VLAN 4095 is the local management VLAN. In our lab we had collapsed all preconfigured vlans and left a default of vlan 1 this allowed all vlans to pass to the core switch where traffic could be separated at the vlan layer there. Again you should never need to touch the internal ports unless your network architecture calls for the separating of data and management traffic on isolated VLANS.

So to recap, set your switches back to defaults if possible and try to ONLY set your VLAN on the external network port/ports.

Also as a sidenote, the networking piece is ALWAYS the biggest headache in these installs and while IBM has made massive strides in that department I fear for us engineers the networking nonsense will still exist for a little while longer.  :(
Super Newbie Posts: 37 Karma: +0/-0 *
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 12:31:55 PM »
Gatta,

Have you configure physical switch port as trunking mode (or tagging mode in ibm term) ?
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 06:05:09 AM »
Hello,
Thank you for your answers.
I applied what you told me I put default and I assigned to VLAN 1 ip address and gateway.
I enabled the tagging option on the external ports.
but in the network configuration of the blade, with the vlan 1 I still can not connect to it.
thank you.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 12:58:56 PM »
Gatta,

Have you defined your VLAN to the external ports? This is starting to sound more like a networking issue from the chassis switches to your core network switches than a blade configuration issue.

Couple more questions:

1. Do you have an FSM? If so, are you able to ping its external mgmt address on ETH1?

2. Do you have your hosts in a cluster? If so, are you able to ping between your VMs on each host? Also, if question #1 is yes, can you ping your FSM from a VM?

thanks!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 12:51:50 PM »
ok thank you
I do not have FMS and my host is not clustered.
now I created the vlan 2 on which I set some external ports.
I assigned to compute node 9 the vlan 2
on a PC with vSphere I created a VM under Windows 2008. my problem is that when I'm in the vm I do not always manage to ping an external ip address.
and external as I am unable to ping the IP address of the Vms.
Thank you for help
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 11:18:21 AM »
Okay, so here's is how it looks from my side.

If you are able to connect to the esxi host via vsphere than the chassis switch is functioning properly and passing external traffic. If you are having an issue with the VMs then it sounds like the vSwitch has a configuration issue as it is not able to route traffic externally. I would focus our energies on your vSwitch and off of the chassis switches for now. Please send snapshots of all screens relating to the properties of you vSwitch NIC if possible and maybe some of what you are seeing from the VM side.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Gatta!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »
Hello,
excuse me I was traveling.
this is good. I'll just make a minimum configuration, all 4 switches will be on the same address range.
So I think it is not worth creating a vlan??
Thank you for your availability
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 12:52:07 AM »
Creating a VLAN should not be necessary EXCEPT on the external switch ports but again if you are able to ping and connect to your ESXi hosts then there could be a problem with you vSwitch and not with the chassis switches.

Are your vSwitches using an active/passive or active/active If active/active I would disable one NIC and try your ping tests again. If you can ping between your VMs and externally with only one active NIC then there is a misconfiguration of the active/active setup which COULD be a chassis configuration issue in which case my networking knowledge would have run its course and you should contact a network admin or try to open a ticket with IBM.

Please send me some snapshots of your vSwitch adapter settings so I can compare to our labs and report back if you get a chance.

Thanks!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 02:06:36 PM »
Hello,
I solved my problem with the switch configuration 1Gb.
I use the default VLAN 1, I assigned an IP address and default gateway and some juggling with the config.
everything works now.
thank you
I am currently on two 10Gb switch.
I must create a vlan and make a trunk port EXT1 and EXT2 because it needs to connect to another switch via fiber optics.
I try this config:
I create a vlan 100 on the first 10Gb switch then I activate trunk group on EXT1 and EXT2.
I validated but its still not working, worst I can no longer enter the Admin GUI of the switch but I can ping the address.
Thank you for your help.
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 02:51:23 PM »
thanks for help i create a new topic for configuring EN4093 with switch Dell.
this topic is solved thanks for all