News: SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

FSM WON'T BOOT UP! 2473

Administrator Sr. Member Posts: 309 Karma: +6/-0 *****
FSM WON'T BOOT UP!
« on: March 25, 2014, 09:06:56 AM »
All,

I upgraded my chassis network switches (EN4093) to the latest level 7.7.9 after which we were having ALL SORTS of network issues. Couldn't ping certain devices. We rebooted the switches and then days later we lost FSM communication. I could get to the FSM through the IMM console and everything looked fine so I decided to reboot, BAD MOVE! Now, because the FSM is an LDAP server, I can't get to the IMM ONLY the CMM with the recovery_id that was created when we managed the chassis with the FSM (design flaw maybe?). So now I am using the KVM dongle to access a console and the thing is just hanging there at what looks to be where the NIC gets activated during boot up. It would probably be easier to rebuild it but I have opened a ticket with IBM to see if they can resolve it WITHOUT a rebuild so we can learn from this experience in case you like me also do not have a recent backup.  :-\

I will update this thread as we have answers and action plans come in from support!  :-[
Re: FSM WON'T BOOT UP!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »
Support came back and said I needed to boot to the recovery partition by pressing f12 at the UEFi splash screen to rebuild the system from scratch. (NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT) Anyway, I did this and it STILL WON'T BOOT and looks to be having a kernel panic when trying to activate the NICs, we think it's a hardware issue but why a NIC failure would cause a kernel panic is beyond me.

Will update when further action plans are received and addressed.

thanks!
Super Newbie Posts: 37 Karma: +0/-0 *
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 10:59:13 PM »
Dear,

I'm so sorry to hear that. Yesterday i also update EN4093 to the lastest firmware 7.7.9. It take about 10 minutes to reboot. After reboot i seen some error warning on CMM about cannot take information devices while LED status in CMM still shows healthy. I also panic at this time. But after that i reboot CMM. Today when i  login back to CMM everything fine (Green Status).

But as your error, i seem have to take some to monitoring it.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:44:44 AM »
Dongdp,

We ended up fixing the issue by replacing the mother board. I still cannot explain the Linux kernel panic but after the board replacement I was able to recover the FSM with the latest code. 1.3.1. We did a write up on mypuresupports main page in the FSM section if this ever happens to you but lets HOPE NOT!

Thanks!
Super Newbie Posts: 28 Karma: +0/-0 *
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 12:00:48 PM »
PureSystemsTech

I cannot find the write up you're talking about  :o
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 07:11:45 PM »
Sorry I should have been more specific.

It is here http://mypuresupport.org/fsm-flex-systems-manager/

All the way at the bottom of the page called 'Recovering the Flex Systems Manager node from Base Media'

REMEMBER THIS WILL WHACK ANY CONFIGURATION YOU HAVE ALREADY