News: SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Upgrade from 1.2.0 to 1.3.1 1916

Super Newbie Posts: 5 Karma: +0/-0 *
Upgrade from 1.2.0 to 1.3.1
« on: June 12, 2014, 06:13:29 AM »
Hello,
I have 2 FSM with problem to upgrade from 1.2.0 to 1.3.1.
For the first one, we open a case at IBM because the upgrade method from CLI is not working.

For the second, the system crash. But I am trying to reinstall with de DVD iso file but the installer don't accept the second DVD!
"Reading DVD"
Please insert...

Can you help me for this?

Thank you
Antoine
Administrator Sr. Member Posts: 309 Karma: +6/-0 *****
Re: Upgrade from 1.2.0 to 1.3.1
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 05:11:38 PM »
Antoine,

Thank you for your question.

For the first FSM I do not believe that 1.20 to 1.3.1 is a supported upgrade path. Check your readme and make sure that you are at the appropriate firmware level to make that jump.

For the second. Are you using the Base Media to do the install? If so, is the DVD drive you are using an externally powered or USB powered? If USB, that is not supported and although it sometimes works you're much better off getting an AC powered DVD drive. In my experience that will work every time assuming there's no issues with the media itself.

If I could add one more thing for the first FSM I would recommend using the base media to upgrade to 1.3.1 so that the recovery partition is at the latest level and should you ever have a system crash (which I unfortunately have experienced) you will be at the latest code level. This way, when you perform the recovery it will already be at 1.3.1 and then you will simply just need to restore a recent backup.

Sound okay?

Thanks!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 05:29:21 AM »

About the FSM crashed, I try to install from the recovery DVD with the IMM(remote media) of the FSM server.
But when the installer ask me to add the 2nd DVD drive, the installer refused to use it.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 06:03:43 AM »
Okay, this I have also tried and it does not work past the 1st DVD. You have to use an ac powered external DVD drive.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 04:56:55 AM »
Wrong DVD disk, we need DVD DL for 8Gb data! Not the usual DVD @4,7Gb.

Can we use USB key to store the "restore system"?
like: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 08:41:30 AM »
Oh no! Yes the DVD image is quite large. :)

As far as your question goes that would be something to pose to the FSM development team but my guess is no. Since the FSM is extremely restricted my thought is that the install media has specific parameters that tell it to look for the specific hardware specs that come with the FSM and since there's no way to redirect the install to point to another drive or in this case USB I'm not sure how it could be done.

Let us know your progress. Good luck!!