News: SMF - Just Installed!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Newbie needing help with deploy compute images 4992

Super Newbie Posts: 11 Karma: +0/-0 *
Newbie needing help with deploy compute images
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:26:53 PM »
I inherited an FSM chassis recently - and I have it in my lab and I'm learning more about it.   I've convinced the managers to send me to IBM training - and I've been to several of the courses (NGT21, 41, and 51).

I've got FSM on the air - can log into it, etc.
My two switches (EN4093) I put into Easy Connect mode.

When I attempt to deploy a compute node with the default VMware 5.1 image, it always fails.   Within a few seconds after deployment, the image fails with a timeout:   

September 22, 2014 2:23:20 PM EDT-Level:2-MEID:28300--MSG: DNZFM8797E The operating system deployment process did not complete for compute node "10.111.13.99" ("28,300"). The image deployment process did not complete because the Flex System Manager could not mount the remote media "/dump/xcat/faketftp/xcat/isos/node28300.iso" to this compute node (error code of "ERR_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT"). Make sure the compute node is functioning and that there is a working network connection between the Flex System Manager and the compute node.

This same error happened during the NGT41 class - our instructor simply "called it in" to the helpdesk who runs the labs, who then came back an hour later and said "try it now" and it worked.

FSM can indeed ping the IMM on the target system.  He has "access"  .

Where am I going wrong?   

Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Administrator Sr. Member Posts: 309 Karma: +6/-0 *****
Re: Newbie needing help with deploy compute images
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 02:43:09 PM »
Jreed,

Welcome to MyPureSupport!

For your question. If you have access to the node then try to run an inventory, does it complete successfully?

If it still does not work then reboot the FSM and try again. I've seen in the past that FSMs that are powered on for a long time sometimes need a reboot to clear up some issues.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:53:13 PM »
Yes - FSM is freshly rebooted (and freshly updated).

Node has a fresh inventory collection.

Any other thoughts?   

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:58:04 PM »
Is the CMM as well as the node also had the latest level? You could also try to download from IBM the latest VMware 5.1 with IBM customization ISO and import that for use when deploying. Maybe the default is corrupted or something?
Super Newbie Posts: 35 Karma: +3/-0 *
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 03:04:20 PM »
I've seen something similar.

It MIGHT be that the ISO is still mounted to another LPAR.

Cut and paste from our wiki...  May or may not help

This is from the padmin account on the VIO...

$ lsmap -vadapter vhost1
SVSA            Physloc                                      Client Partition ID
--------------- -------------------------------------------- ------------------
vhost1          U9133.55A.066EB4H-V1-C34                     0x00000000

VTD                   vtopt0
Status                Available
LUN                   0x8200000000000000
Backing device        /var/vio/VMLibrary/AIX-6100-06-01-Disk1.iso
Physloc
Mirrored              N/A

To unload the image.

$ unloadopt -vtd vtopt0
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 03:29:50 PM »
I believe he is trying to mount from the FSMs Deploy Compute Node Image capability and not VMcontrol to deploy ESXi hypervisors and captured virtual appliances like we would in VMcontrol.

@Jreed, is that correct? This may be a dumb question but your are trying to deploy to an x86 node correct? Using the FSMs deploy compute node images?
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 03:40:36 PM »
Yes.

A little more config information here:

When I acquired the chassis, I performed the following:

Reset FSM back to what is stored on the recovery partition.
Punched up the FSM code to 1.3.0.   (since recovery was at 1.10 - a lot of manual steps to get him to 1.30)
Updated firmware on CMM and all compute nodes to current.
Updated firmware on the two EN4093's to current.  (I haven't updated my FC switches yet - but I'm even to a point of playing with the SAN yet).

I'm running in single network mode on the FSM - only ETH0 is configured.

FSM can ping the IMMs, CMM, etc.
Everyone is managed, has access, inventory is current.

I can manually load a ESX host and can ping it.  So, my switches are correct.

But, any attempt to do a "deploy image" fails - with the timeout message above occurs almost immediately.

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 03:41:19 PM »
Oh and yes.  It's an x240 node.   Not messing with anything Power.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »
Here's a dumb question:

Do system x compute nodes have to have an assigned pattern/profile to deploy against?

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 03:59:39 PM »
Jreed,

To answer your last post no you can deploy to any compute node with or without a profile assigned.

I think we may have found the issue and thank you for supplying more detailed information about your setup. In order to manage these nodes at the OS level you need to have your FSMs management network set as Seperated Networks using both ETH0 and ETH1. This will allow you to deploy to compute nodes as well as manage them at the OS layer.

Here's what I would suggest.

1) Unmanage the chassis
2) Get the recovery CDs and perform an FSM base media install using the 1.3.2 media. Information about this can be found in MyPureSupports FSM knowledge base here(http://mypuresupport.org/fsm-flex-systems-manager/)
3) When you setup the FSM use the directions at the top of the page from the link in step #2 "Flex System Manager Intial Setup".
4) Once you perform the recovery and get the code to 1.3.2 make sure your CMM and x86 nodes are also at the latest firmware.
5) Apply all fix packs to the FSM
6) Re-manage the chassis
7) Try the deploy again.

Let us know how you make out and if you encounter any questions along the way. I'm fairly certain that the issue is with how the FSM is configured. GOOD LUCK!  :)
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 04:23:47 PM »
Thanks!   I have the 1.3.2 DVD's so that'll be the plan - nuke / reload / and I'll install it based on your guidelines for an IPv6 chassis network and then IPv4 for external!

I'll report back with success or failure!

Thanks again!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 10:49:08 AM »
Thanks! Good luck and please post back with any issues!  :D
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 11:00:09 AM »
Well, issue #1 is I think my 1.3.2 DVDs are bad.

I'll try my 1.3.1's instead.

For 1.3.2, it boots to the menus.

But for any of the selections on the second tier of question "recover Hdd, recover system, etc", it attempts to untar, and then there's an "UNTAR FAILED" and it throws you back into the menus.

We'll see if 1.3.1 works any better.

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 11:07:07 AM »
Okay one thing to note that is EXTREMELY important is that you need to make sure the external DVD drive you use is AC powered. It CANNOT be USB powered DVD drive, while it looks like its working the chances that it actually will are extremely slim. In the documentation it specifically says an AC powered DVD drive and trust me I've learned the hard way and once we got the right DVD drive every install since has gone smooth.
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 09:57:21 AM »
OK - reporting back in.

Apparently, my first attempt at a 1.3.2 upgrade with a USB-line powered device trashed one of the disk slices, as each additional attempt with an AC-powered DVD with 1.3.2 would appear to "complete" successfully, but when booting, it would fail after launching RHEV claiming that it couldn't find a domain, etc.

(I tried both options with 1.3.2 - the "recover full system" and the "recover from failed hdd" - and both never worked.

I then attempted with the 1.3.1.1 media I have - and that did finish successfully, and I am now at the initial wizard for FSM and ready to start again.

Now... (and I appreciate all the help here, btw).

You said earlier in this post, that the best practice is to follow your startup guide of an internal IPv6 network and an external IPv4 network.   

Is the second option in the wizard of just having a unified "data and management" network not a viable one for success?